Medical Insurance for Overseas Students
Applicants and fee
- For Hong Kong & Macao and Overseas Compatriot Students: According to Act of Overseas Chinese Students Medical Insurance from Overseas Community Affairs Council, Republic of China, new overseas compatriot, HK & Macao students are not qualified to join the National Health Insurance. Therefore, for those are not qualified are required to join Overseas Chinese Students Medical Insurance for 6 months in the first semester; at the end of 6 months if you’re still not qualified, you would join International Student Medical Insurance instead.
◎ Overseas Compatriot Students Medical Insurance fee: NTD 580/ semester (insurance fee is NTD 1,160, NTD 580 as subsidy from Overseas Community Affairs Council and students afford rest of NTD 580)
◎ International Student Medical Insurance fee: NTD 500/month
- For Mainland China and International Students, before being qualified for joining National Health Insurance, you need to join International Student Medical Insurance.
◎ Fee: NTD 3,000/semester or NTD 500/month
Procedure of Applying for Medical Insurance
- Visit the clinics with National Health Insurance
- Document preparation
- Application form
- Receipt with original one
- Certificate of diagnosis with original one
- Copied cover of your bank book (if you have no bank account in Taiwan, the insurance fee would be claimed through check; it is required to fill in the application from the insurance company)
- Copied one of ARC or entry permit
- Visit OIA (R303, Administration Bldg. II) and hand in the documents so the faculty will apply the insurance for you.
Detail of Health Insurance
- Max claim of clinic or emergency: NTD 1,000/day
- Max claim of ward’s fee: NTD 1,000/day
- Max claim of hospitalization costs: NTD 120,000/time
National Health Insurance
International, overseas compatriot, HK and Macao students with ARC are required to join National Health Insurance after staying in Taiwan for 6 months continuously.
Procedure of joining National Health Insurance
- How to count the days of joining the insurance: Enter Taiwan with Resident Visa, and it will start since your entry date; for those with Visitor Visa or entry permit, it will only start from the date the visa has transferred to resident visa.
- Without any departure after entering: Start from the entry date+6 months
- Depart for once within 30 days:Start from the entry date + 6 months- departure days
- Depart for once over 30 days: The resident days would start all over again, which means to start from the latest entry date and the rule would be followed as 1 or 2.
- Depart for a few amounts of times: The resident days would start all over again; start from the latest entry date + 6 months- departure days
- Fee (start from Jan 1st, 2021)
- NTD 826/month
- Overseas compatriot students are able to apply for insurance subsidy with low-income certificate at OIA, and as the application is approved by Overseas Community Affairs Council, Republic of China, you would only need to afford NTD 413/month.
- Applying for NHI IC card: After being qualified, OIA will apply for it by your ARC. It would take around 7 workdays.
- Having medical treatment with NHI card: You may have the medical treatments at any clinic or hospital once joining NHI.
- NHI transferring or returning the fee: Once you have the other NHI from your workplace or internship, please come to OIA for transferring or returning the insurance.
- All the fee and regulations mentioned above are followed by National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Central Division, National Health Insurance Administration
Add: No.66, Shizheng N. 1st Rd., Xitun Dist., Taichung City 407666, Taiwan, R.O.C.